Friday, July 13, 2007

13th July, 2007 It's four in the morning.......




I couldn't sleep this morning so I went off to the fields early to see the horses. Kanuthi, who has been off the Forest for about a week with his mother was playing with the deer. He's looking a bit moth eaten at the moment. It has been an extremely busy week with two trips out to the Margaret Green Foundation Trust and two horses to see at Wimborne as well as lots to do at home. What with that and the builders and three dogs staying this weekend, I shall be glad of a day off (a week on Sunday I think!).Saddles are proving to be a bit of a nightmare again. One that was supplied to a client of mine dropped dramatically within four weeks and the horse objected pretty strongly. It's replacement was delayed by the floods and is still too tight. Another local supplier took twice as long as promised to provide a tailor made saddle and two other local tack shops store their saddles in heaps of five, all higgledy piggledy which can't be good for the structure of the saddle. Another saddle fitter is trying to persuade me to go treeless but I don't feel as secure on a starter when I have to reach down to check a dressage girth arrangement and I have heard of so many horses being sore after a few months. I think they may be a short term solution for remedial horses where there is going to be a lot of change in their shape. In the meantime the Myler hanging cheek low port comfort snaffle is proving to be the very best bit for starters and remedial horses alike.