Tuesday, December 30, 2008

3Oth December, 2008 New Year's Resolutions



As this year draws to a close, I am looking forward to another year of being able to help horses and there owners to overcome problems and get it right first time. This will include David as he has decided to have Chancer on loan. Despite both being novices, I am hoping that by taking things gently, especially with David (!), we will be able to forge a good relationship. Chancer, who was born in America and trained to race, has the stature of a Quarter Horse so I am hoping they will both look cool in a Western saddle. We'll see.......

On 1st February, members of the Herd will be getting together for the first time at a venue in Verwood. As well as a short demonstration of horsemanship with an Icelandic foal, there will be an opportunity for everyone to set goals for themselves and their horses throughout the year. Anyone interested in joining the Herd can e-mail me for a membership form. Membership is free.

In the meantime my resolutions include staying away from Discussion Groups where the standard answer to any pony problem seems to be to hit it - the pony not the problem. Despite having made a significant improvement to every horse I meet, I am still accused of being too soft with horses by people who have never even watched the way I work. If people were quicker to use their brains than their fist the world would be a much better place for horses. I sometimes think that Anna Sewell would be turning in her grave if she saw some of the things people do to horses. There may not longer be an economic imperative behind the abuse of horses but this has been replaced by a competitive imperative which some think gives justification for hitting a horse. Even once is once too often. I do not think that my way is the only way - it most certainly is not - but a violent way is no way at all.

I have also resolved to be even happier....and more positive.....