Sunday, January 18, 2009

18th January, 2009 Working weekend




I came home a few hours ago from my last Foal Handling course until the next lot are almost ready to be weaned in the autumn. Once they get to eight months old or more, it really needs to be a one-to-one job as they will have learned that they can opt in and out of engaging with humans; it takes a little more guile to ask them to co-operate once they reach this stage in order not to have to resort to fear or force. I was surrounded this time by really experienced students, most of whom had done the course before, so they welcomed an opportunity to hone their skills. I was able to take more of a back seat - but still very tired. Four ponies, four students, two or three spectators and a photographer each day adds up to a lot of thinking. Fortunately Julie and Sheila were there too. An interesting trick of the light turned our top pony into an Appaloosa.
Feedback from the course:
I really liked that little chap, I was really pleased what we all managed to acheive with him. He was much more relaxed with Celia and I this afternoon, it shows that a little patience goes a long way and is so much more beneficial for them - even the more wild foal came a long way this weekend. (Hannah)
Thanks everso again for the weekend, learnt loads, made mistakes, but hopefully will be able to do better next time. (Jen)
We had a wonderful time. Rachel now has her eye on the filly too!!! ha ha ha. see, who needs big horses!!! I loved working with her and found it useful that she was quite quiet because I really had to think hard!! Sarah is fantastic and talks so much sense. And when you stop and think about it things are very logical. I have learned so much today!! I would really encourage people to go and have a go. (Comment on NFED from Anne)
You should be proud of your achievements, Sarah, you have an amazing gift, not only with the ponies but in your ability to put across your methods in such an effective way. The rest of us are well impressed. (Aud)

The rest of the week I have been going out to regular customers (one of whom needs me about once every 18 months!) and catching up with all their news and progress. Douggan's owner no longer needs me at all - after only three visits he is happily having a full set of shoes on and can be clipped without sedation. Having me out was a darn site cheaper than paying a vet to sedate him and in any event he doesn't much like the vet either. Next on his agenda is having his teeth done.....