Friday, August 28, 2009

28th August, 2009 They said I had to go to rehab...

And I said yes. Wessex Rehabilitation Centre is more for the injured and achey than the drunk and the drugged (although there's an idea) and I have been sent there because I have chronic pain in my shoulders and neck. Spending so much time using inviting body language with a heavy riding hat on my head can't be helping but the hours on the computer are probably the main culprit. It's been brilliant and I find my self looking at the parallels with horses - the need for core stability, the need for pacing so that muscles are allowed to recover from micro-trauma, remembered pain and so on.

In the meantime, Chancer ended up at the veterinary hospital on Wednesday night having over-reached really badly and cut himself so deeply that looking at it made me feel peculiar. I went to see if Cello was alright without him the following morning and found Petra standing with leg off the ground. One vet visit later and she was wrapped up in bandages with instructions to hose or ice for twenty minutes twice a day and of course, box rest. Now, I am not a fan of box rest because of its isolating effect and tendency to send horses insane, and with two of them crocked and only one barn, I talked to the vet about pen rest. She was quite enthusiastic and so we are giving it a try. Petra is in the round pen with Jack outside to keep her company and Chancer is in a squarish pen with Cello to talk to.