Friday, November 19, 2010

19th November, 2010 My new best friend












I have had a pretty special two days. yesterday I went to meet a black Welsh Cob filly who is part way through her education. Her owner wanted to make sure she was on the right track. I watched as she showed me the things that her little horse does including lying down on command and a really controlled rear all for hand treats. I felt that this level of communication should be enhanced rather than lost and so the aim is to see whether we can introduce some discipline through clicker training. In this way she would only be rewarded if the behaviour has been asked for not simply because she offers them; wouldn't be much fun if she took the initiative when being ridden. Very important to make sure that he owner is training her and that she is not training her owner!
Then, this morning it was off to see Breeze, the tall colt I mentioned recently. As a 17 month entire colt, he has been reluctant to be touched anywhere other than his head and wasn't all that keen on that! His owners had managed to get his headcollar on quite calmly a couple of day ago but he wasn't happy to be held and reacted strongly when anyone tried to lead him - we can't be sure that he has ever been taught to lead properly. I had been so concerned that I had made contingency plans if I couldn't make progress. Within quarter if an hour of arriving there today, Breeze was allowing me to touch his bottom - at a good distance - with the feather duster and then I was able to work my way along his back and neck. He then accepted touch by hand and light pressure on his headcollar. By the end of the session he had accepted the lead rein and was leading gently within a medium sized pen. He feels about 3 hands shorter now!