Friday, December 3, 2010

3rd December, 2010 Baby, it's cold outside











Four days teaching on the Handling the Untouched Horse Course at Hartsop Farm. Despite the minus temperatures and deep snow across the country, two-thirds of the students turned up bringing their colds and sniffles with them. I'm wasn't sure whether Ian and John, my co-tutors, were ready for the feather duster and fluffy scarf approach but apart from gently ribbing me, they let me get on with it and we had good results. I came down with a heavy cold half way through but survived with eight layers of clothes on and a wooly hat. John and Ian both use ropes following the initial touch with a padded stick. They are both really gentle, light and subtle in their work and I gained a lot from hearing them teach - John has a fabulous rope trick that means that horses can be freed very easily and Ian has lots of little gadgets and ruses which mean that he can get a headcollar on from a distance; all clever stuff. There is certainly nothing I could argue with.

"I've just got back from taking care of my girls in the snow and I wanted to say thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge and experience with me for the past 2 days. I counted myself very lucky to have chosen you as my instructor. You have given me a great deal to think about and inspired me to carry on with my IH studies. You are an excellent trainer and have NOTHING to prove at all!" J.E.