Sunday, February 12, 2012

12th February, 2012 Hay you!





Indiana and Peechay were perplexed by their first encounter with snow and very pleased to see their local hay supplier - me! The outside ponies have been turning up regularly, anything from two to fifteen each day.

Most of my customers have been determined to brave the weather. On Thursday I met a Welsh Cob that was determined to leave you or to bite you and on Saturday, an Appaloosa pony that wanted to lick me to death. For both, the groundwork exercises set up some boundaries and the leading work helped to establish the difference between wanted and unwanted behaviour. By using a 'smile in the line' with a 'motorbike hand' you can achieve that fine balance between allowing your horse freedom of his head at the same time as asking him to keep his attention with you. In return he gives you the freedom of your arm and you give him your attention.

"You will be very pleased to hear that S stopped biting/nipping immediately.  It is quite amazing, not a nibble in sight yesterday or today. What's equally fascinating is that you appear to have trained my husband too, who is taking S's training very seriously and getting some rewarding results. " CT

"I sang 'Hey Jude' to M last night as I.... yes me and me alone, bought him in from the field. Thanks Sarah for a great lesson Friday" EH