Monday, March 3, 2014

3rd March, 2014 Back to Front

Try not to yawn but it is that Piglet again, today working in a one acre field and engaging from the outset. I was going to put the scarf on him straight away but when he began following me about I thought I would see if he would follow me over the poles. Putting your feet at risk when close to predators can be difficult as it involves your attention being in two places at once.


Then I did put the scarf on in the middle of the field. You can see he is not totally relaxed about it as he has a running foot up at the back. Still, he chose to stay.


Leading over the poles, note I am on his right hand side.


Leading with the head collar on but using the scarf as a lead rein. This is much softer and more flexible than a lead rein and, if he gets loose, it doesn't whack him in any way. The good news is that when he did run off today, it was only once, for about five strides, and he came straight back to me.


Our work experience student has turned up a week early after her other work experience fell through. It seems their loss is Piglet's gain as we got her involved as an operative operative to see whether he could work with someone else. It was tentative but there. We need him to generalise as much as possible. His owners have bought Ben Hart's book on which this particular work is loosely based and they will be coming to do some work with me before he goes home.

"I honestly am stunned and so is B." DB


Back in IH mode it was time to do some induction work with Rachel so that she can be aware of where our techniques differ from those of the BHS and that taught at College. Hopefully she can then go on to make an informed choice when she works with horses in the future and use IH techniques while she is here.


Asking Indy to maintain the space between them. Indy relaxed and began to yawn copiously....


....before going for a walk around the field. As you can see, Piglet isn't fussed about this in the slightest.