Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Rubiks Cubes

 

It's always a juggle to balance the ponies' welfare needs when their physical needs are at odd with their emotional needs. Jack has been living with his girls for almost a year and sees them as his own.



However, Blue and Nelly are now fat and in danger of becoming too fat, whilst Jack is still a little underweight.


The donkeys and Henrietta are on the tubby side too.


I started off my new plan by bringing the three Forest ponies together in one paddock - not enough for the ponies but too much for the long-ears but it was only for one night.



I doubt the glut of grass will last long with so many deer sharing it but for now I needed to divide the ponies according to their needs. Part two of the plan was to put Jack together with Patsy and Pie in a combined total of ten acres.

Henrietta, and the donkeys, came in, and she suprised me by allowing me to touch her all over with a feather duster. It is years since I tried. She actually seemed to enjoy it. 




Meanwhile, Nelly and Blue went into the paddock with Theoden and Dave - thereby breaking Jack's heart.


I imagine it won't be long before we will need another re-jig. Nathalie's two grass-sensitive ponies are coming in to me while she goes on holiday and will likely share with the long-ears, and I am possibly going to be taking care of a mare and a yearling colt that have been out on the Forest for the winter and who need 'a few more groceries'; they do not belong to me. I hope we can go back to a situation where all of the ponies, horses, donkey and mule are happy to be moved around and enjoy each other's company.