Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Surgery

I am rather daunted to be going into hospital again, this time on my shoulder. In June last year I was still recovering from spinal surgery which replaced two disks in my neck and fused them to the bones above. Sadly the operation was not a success and may have to be repeated.

Eight years ago, when working with a horse that hated being in the horsebox, I was squashed straight across my shoulders. The hospital said that there was no break and that I would get better within three months. Over the last seven years I have been in terrific and constant pain from this, and my neck, and was variously told that it was all in my head, fybromyalgia or inoperable. It led to me giving up my work as a horse trainer and trying every which way I could to reduce the pain.

I have what is know as a Weightlifter's Injury, distal clavicular osteolysis, which in my case meant that the bone in my ACJ was fractured and to protect itself has resorbed, or eaten itself (!) by about 2 inches. As a result it is unstable although, unusually, I still have a full range of movement. 

Weightlifter's injury

Fortunately the A team - Sue, Julie and Tracey - are regrouping to look after all of the horses on Monday and Tuesday, and after that David will be at the helm, again, for about four months.