Monday, May 20, 2024

Newsround

I've never known horses lose their coats so late following a winter but I guess age is not on their side, and Jack's slightly curly coat is a symptom of his Cushings. He is a darling, taking half a Prascend every day which is nestled inside a single barley ring. Lots of horses refuse to take it. 

Our guest, Fleur, is coping well with relative isolation. Her favourite trick is to neigh gently until Dave and Henrietta wander up the hill to say hello across the divide but then completely ignore them. 

Meanwhile the Shetland pony on the Black Isle is making good progress. 

"Things are going well with Geal. I have been doing a mixture of both techniques. First I greet her and give her a small treat, then I stroke her head at the side and reward with click and treat, she was initially allowing then backing away but now she doesn't back away or does a bit but then always come back to me and I think she gets that a reward will follow. I can touch all over her head and nose which is lovely.

After a while of doing that, I sprinkle some hard food down and while she eats that I stroke all over her back and over each side of her mane. Every so often I lean down and stoke her face again and give a small treat. I have discovered that her sweet spot is under (not behind) her ear and above the end of her jaw, she has sometimes started leaning in to it.

I have used a scarf (a very fetching pink one!) and can rub it over her face, yesterday she tolerated it over her nose but she will sometimes especially if I persist (maybe too long) she will back off but she does come back again.

This is all done in the field. Yesterday I had a bucket of food in the field that she and Sammy shared and I was able to stroke her loads whereas in the past she would have just moved away. That was a good feeling.

I did kind of get to this point months ago whilst sitting on a chair in the field but then it went backwards and I now feel like we have a plan of how to go forward.

I think I will move on to head collar today, do you think that sounds ok?"

Prince has been primped or should that be pimped these days?

 
and Mulibwanji and his mum, Snippet are taking strides with their education too. 


Leading practice for Mulibwanji...


...going in a stable practice for Snippet.