Thursday, March 22, 2007

22nd March, 2007




I've really had to hit the ground running with a new pony coming in last Monday and lots of interesting mobile work. Today I'm going to see a horse that gets excitable when it rides up to the gallops - I bet it does! Tomorrow I'm off to a non-loader and on Saturday I've got two wild ponies to teach to lead and a pony that is being difficult to catch. In the meantime, Horace has had his first gallop, Piper has had his first proper cuddle and Kennedy, the wild pony, is letting me sit on the floor with him while he's asleep and can now be caught in a five acre field. Progress indeed. Connie and Fudge, the two labradors are also coming to stay so it should be a chaotic weekend.
It's always nice to hear how ponies are getting on after I've worked with them. I was thrilled to hear that Oliver is doing really well and is quite a personality. Another horse, P, has been consistently good to be shod after I recommended that she have physiotherapy for what I thought was a bad back. The farrier had said that he wouldn't shoe her without sedation. I never mind giving free advice either - although sometimes it's impossible without seeing the horse and it's environment. However, I always like to know whether my advice worked and, like the horses, I do thrive on positive reinforcement.