Saturday, April 7, 2007

7th April, 2007

It's been a busy and tough week with me having to tell two people that their ponies are not safe to work with. The first, a horse that rodeos when she is ridden will need the careful attention of Ian who has a rider who can get on and stay on without being horrid to the horse. It is frustrating for the owner when their horse is perfect in every other respect and does the most wonderful groundwork. She has been checked physically and her saddle fits well. She just won't tolerate being sat on. Then I was literally stunned by a four year old Exmoor pony. When he thought the session should be over he simply stood on his hind legs and plunged forward to attack me and kept on attacking me even when I was on the floor. This little boy who had been bottle-reared and overly handled is probably the most dangerous and unpredictable pony I have ever met - gorgeous to look at with a soft eye and an open face and absolutely no compunction about attacking adults or children. He went back to his previous home immediately. I have given very clear advice about what should happen to him - he needs urgent professional behavioural training or putting to sleep before he actually kills someone. Luckily I got off with just a bump to the head and a few bruises. Poor pony, it's not his fault that it has come to this.