Sunday, June 22, 2008

22nd June, 2008 MAXimising Horsemanship

On Friday evening I went off to see Richard Maxwell's demo at Quob. He was on very good form. As well as being really enjoyable and at times, very funny, I learned absolutely loads from listening to him and watching what he does. I think there is a very special generosity from everyone who’s work at least originated with Monty and a real desire to help horses rather than to keep very valuable information a secret. I’m was also impressed that he is still motivated to find new things and to move things on himself– I think it says something when lots of other trainers turn up to see him. He did some fantastic stuff on asking horses to be calmer on cue. I shall pinch this unashamedly but I do always give the original "author" credit for the techniques I borrow.

Richard summed up the thoughts expressed in my last post in just one sentence: the hardest thing of all is to get a horse to revisit it's nightmares but he went on to show how it is absolutely vital that we ask it to do so. This was brought home to me yesterday when I went to see a four year old New Forest pony that hates being touched by third parties. Yet again he's another one who has had a bad time with the vet - not the vet's fault but a painful procedure. This pony offered me everything from circling to kicking, shoulder barging and biting even though all I wanted to do was to touch him with a soft false hand. He had to work out that all of this behaviour was redundant (another lovely phrase from Richard) and find his way through it. It took some time for the penny to drop and just leaving the subject wasn't an option - I had to show him that not everyone is out to hurt him and every time he let me touch him without arguing, I took the hand away to reward him. I can understand how this pony feels; humans are not exactly brilliant at letting their fears go either, but if he is to be a safe ride and safe with other people he has to find a way.