Thursday, August 5, 2010

5th August, 2010 Flying Around










I went flying this morning when Theoden decided to have a broncing fit in the middle of his lesson. For a while I thought I might stay on but then I named my spot and off I went. No damage done and I got straight back on but I shall get his back checked before I do much more. Sorry, no photos of that one.
This afternoon it was off to Hayling Island where the scarecrows are out and to work with Merlin in preparation for Le Trec. Merlin is an 11 year old Fell pony and has been there, done that and got the tee-shirt, most notably in driving. Nevertheless, he wasn't as bombproof as he is in harness and it did make me wonder whether all the adrenalin and forward motion of driving makes it easier for horses to go through any fear they may occasionally feel. Certainly the driving horses at the New Forest Show were really powering around the ring and everyone had to make way as they came through the collecting rings. Merlin now needs to take obstacles slow step by slow step in Le Trec competitions so we worked through the three methods of desensitisation which today included a furled up umbrella, a huge toy dog and the tarpaulin.
At the end of the day i rceeived this e-mail from Alessa about her Quarter horse youngster and his last meeting with the farrier:
"Guy has been out since your visit and Herbie was 100% better! He even stood nicely whilst Ollie was pushing a stick against his front hoof, the daft dog wanted Herbie to throw the stick for him! It's the first time Herbie has met a dog properly too so he was extra good. " Alessa
And on 6th August from Lindsay with Merlin: Sarah casts a spell.....just wanted to say a big thank you for the time you spent with Merlin and myself yesterday. Will put into practice the tips you showed me and I know it will stand us in good stead for the forthcoming Le Trec competition. Can't believe the speed at which you received the results yesterday and Lyn and I will have a fair bit of homework to do with both Sky and his fly fringe issues and Merlin and the flying brolly and flappy tarpaulin. Will keep in touch and update you on our progress. "LT
E-mail received 21.8.10: "Just a quick update on the Le Trec competition which Merlin completed today. He was absolutely brilliant and was placed 3rd in the dressage/obedience section with a 9/10 for his halt at the end. Onto the obstacle section and although a little hesistant at one or two obstacles he completed all ten and came 5th. The final section was barrel racing and he was well up for what ever I faced him with and as a result we won this section even though I managed to lose one of my stirrups. The training we did obviously paid off and the confidence building paid dividends. One of my friends commented I haven't seen you ride like that since your gymkhana days (only about 35 years ago). Anyway I had a marvellous time and both his owners who kindly lent him to me to ride were very proud of his achievements today. Next week his owner is going to have a go at Le Trec in harness so a truly versatile pony who I am sure is going to go from strength to strength. Thanks so much for all your help and tips which I know helped in getting the results we achieved today."Lindsay Terry