Friday, September 9, 2011

9th September, 2011 The Essence

A much better day yesterday, despite my cartoon thumb that felt about ten times its normal size. Working with semi-feral ponies is always my favourite job. In the morning I worked with Milly, Molly and Puck. Milly had her headcollar on easily three times having got over her real fear of having things enclosing her nose. The £1 fluffy purple scarf worked once again. Molly had graduated to having her headcollar on out in the big field in exchange for clickered treats. Puck had a jangly surcingle on and we did some one rein work before finishing.

In the afternoon I went to see Charlie the sheepdog pony. In fact his sheep have been taken away because he is tormenting them so I have suggested they take up the offer of a tame pony companion. Charlie was much more relaxed from the outset today and the really great news is that his owner has a wonderfully calm demeanour and will be able to carry on from while I am away next week; he get's it. I have to say that I love working with men on these sorts of tasks and watching them let go of any ego and macho and start to really think about what the pony needs from them.

By the end I got to the stage where Charlie was leaning in to me and curling his neck around me so that I could rub his neck all the more. By tracing the bones of his face, I was able to touch him all over it and later Mike did the same and gently removed Charlie's headcollar which has been getting a little tight. 

Sorry no pictures....

(A huge thank you to everyone who sent me a hug yesterday).