Wednesday, March 7, 2012

7th March, 2012 Simples

When I meet a client and their horse for the first time, we often work through the simple groundwork exercises in order to establish some simple rules for them both. By moving the horse and insisting that the horse never moves me, it's often easy to start to gain some sense in a chaotic situation. During this first session, the horse often begins to relax and to co-operate softly with what he is being asked to do. They may well stand still for the first time in ages. This is all straightforward stuff and I think owners can be left wondering what it is all about - one step here, one step there, stand still for a while, breathe, relax, use a bit of intent - all small stuff. However, the effect it can have is profound.

I went to see one horse about three weeks ago, who was always busy on the ground and struggles to leave his field mate. It was if he was lonely when he was with people. He also hated being touched anywhere but on his shoulder and would bite or threaten to bite whenever he was approached. He often had his ears back.

We went through the groundwork exercises and he started to work with me and to give me his attention. He even looked down and noticed I was there (I'm not very tall!). His owner kept going with the exercises but most importantly incorporated them into her every day life with the horse so that he never moved her, she always moved him and he was asked not to overtake her when she led him.

When I went back yesterday he was a different horse. His ears were forward, he was relaxed and while we were waiting to start I was able to touch him all over and to cuddle him! His groundwork was exemplary; calm and soft. We can now move on to take him out and about without his field mate, building up his own Google map so that he knows where he is and that he always goes home again.

Incidentally, this is a horse that is very 'over-at-the-knee' and finds it hard to stand still without moving forward. The stay mechanism in his front legs simply doesn't work and if he is not full square when he is asked to stand he absolutely cannot maintain a halt. By making sure that he is always balanced, we were able to help him to stand still and not set him up to fail.

"Thank you for today.  I hoped you would be impressed with BB's progress." YM

Updated 9th March: Here's another example of one session making a profound difference...



"Just a short update. I've been using the clicker with Santi and give him one treat when catching him, this seems to be a good middle way. I'm not bothered by him for more treats, but nor does it take 10 mins to catch him either!
Today, with the perfect weather conditions and a good feeling about things I decided to take him out alone. I'd done some desensitisation sessions and leading up the lane alone earlier in the week and he'd been as good as gold. Just at the end of the track to the stable, though, were some men cutting down branches and using a shredder etc. Luckily some other riders asked the men to shut down the shredder and I jumped off and led Santi past a trailer, no problem. Brakes went on at the orange shredder, so we did 1 step forward, turn away and forward again. Stopping, rewarding him for looking and not pulling back, and walking on with motorcycle hands, with me between him and the shredder. He gave it a wide birth and a good look, but followed me, and also past the white van which still had its engine running. Just a few hundred yards up the lane I hopped back on him and we were out for 45-50mins. Literally crossed the road and into the forest, walked around the heath, and back again. Met the men and vehicles on our way back, but we went up a side track and let them pass no bother at all.
I know there's lots more to do, but that first session with you has made such a difference and I went out feeling confident that we could handle whatever we met and we did! "CJ