Friday, September 14, 2012

14th September, 2012 The Straight and Narrow

This week I went out to a 12 year old cob mare that pulls terrible faces when the girth is done up and has occasionally bitten. I talked to her owner about whether she could be sore and she has agreed to ask her physiotherapist to check this the next time she comes out to check her which will be in a month's time. In the meantime she is going to use some massage techniques in the girth and pectoral area to see whether she can make the horse more comfortable and at least find out what sort of touch she likes where. We also looked at the saddle which has a tendency to move unless the girth is really really tight. Out came my new piece of kit, anti-slip matting for trays. This is something  I have been trying out with another client who has a treeless saddle which has a tendency to slip unless over-girthed. In both cases the matting seems to be working. Considering that a roll of it only cost £4.50, it's a bit of a find.


"I just wanted to let you know that C and I rode out for a couple of hours today and I used your anti slip mat.  It worked amazingly well, so much so that I didn't have to shift my weight once, despite some cantering and even jumping a couple of logs.  C said she had never seen me look so straight.  I think this could be a big help in sorting out D's back and shoulder issues, if I can stay more stable when on her.  She did sweat up a bit under it, but no worse than with the Limpet, and without the bulk.  The only issue is keeping it from rucking up underneath the saddle cloth.  however, she didn't seem to object." JR