Monday, September 23, 2013

23rd September, 2013 Solo Career

I decided to ride Theoden home to Fritham. This is seven miles on his own so not what you might think of as incremental training. With his recent change in attitude, largely as a consequence of clickering him, I thought it was worth a try knowing that I could get off and walk if I needed to. Well, he was superb. I asked him to halt after 50 paces, then 100, then 150 and then 200 in order to give him a clickered reward and in no time we were well on our way and I could dispense with the clicker other than the odd random halt.  It was really quite funny when we came back into the area he knows - he had a good look round, checked his internal map and then trotted on very happily. Up the drift-way we met seven lively middle sized pigs and back at home another three and it appears that the desensitising I did at HorseWorld, where Theoden had his breakfast every day with Dominic the pig, has really paid off.