Sunday, September 21, 2014

21st September, 2014 Give Us a Twirl!


As I went across the Forest this morning I was thinking about how the love for a horse can fill your heart but also your lungs and your head. That's how I feel about all of mine. As I turned the corner I met this jenny donkey and her newborn foal. I think I would have room in my heart for another one!

 

Our only appointment today was to go and see Lenki, a Throughbred cross who is having difficult getting his head around the idea of loading into a rear facing horsebox. Yes, we have talked about the safety aspects of these horseboxes with the owner and she purposely went out to find one with a sturdy and high back partition.


Lenki is willing to put his feet on the ramp and is rewarded with a click and a treat...


...but then runs backwards when he is asked to step forward any more. He needs to walk right into the corner before he turns towards the back partition.


With the panels in place he was willing to go on board and would happily turn anti-clockwise but that wouldn't help him to be in the right place for travelling. He just didn't seem to be able to get it and it was as if he thought the box was far too small when he was being asked to turn that way.


We practised clock-wise turns in the panelled area and then began to practise in the box...


Head for the left hand corner...


...and turn...


 ...nearly there...


...not rushing out. With this all in place we all decided this was a good time to stop today.


"I am chuffed to bits. The photos really do tell the story. I am so proud of Lenki and impressed with the way you worked with him :-)" RMcV