Monday, June 20, 2022

Operation Daddy's Yacht

When I used to get above myself as a child, my Mum used to say, "What do you think you're on, you're Daddy's yacht? For the four 'out' ponies, and Jack, they really are going to live on their Daddy's yacht because we have been offered a 75 acre conservation site by the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust. I signed the contract last week, and their transportation is being arranged. The site is very quiet with few dog-walkers and they will only be sharing it with five cows. It's fairly rough terrain with all sorts of grasses and shrubs to munch on - and hopefully trim down in accordance with the Ranger's wishes - and areas of trees where they can get out of the sun and away from the insects. As well as the Ranger, there are volunteer 'Lookers' and I will be going to see the ponies regularly and staying close by for the first week. 



If all goes well, and they have a six week probation period, this is a very long-term project and I can sleep, knowing that they have no roads going through the site. I have explored the site several times myself, and apart from the odd bit of litter which gets picked by volunteers, there seem to be very few risks. Much as I'd like to have all of my ponies tucked up in my house at night, this is the dream situation for this particular set. Fingers-crossed it all works out and we can follow their lives in this haven for wildlife which they will helping to conserve.