Friday, January 7, 2011

7th January, 2011 Fair weather rider



I haven't been doing much with my own horses in this dreary weather - it's much easier to concentrate on survival and basic animal husbandry. I am impressed by anyone who has continued to ride throughout the winter. I don't have to and I don't want to!! I have been dodging the rain drops with a few clients. Beau and Champ are now long reining really well and it won't be long before we can put a rider on Beau. Guilda's owner came up for a long reining lessons with Petra - it took me an hour to get the mud off her (Petra not Kym!). I went to do some loading training with Gizmo and saw Duke, a pony we started about three years ago who has just come second in the New Forest point to point. Yesterday I did some work with a little New Forest foal called Teddy - he's a darling. Today I am having a day in the office at the Fire Station so I'd better disappear soon....

I have been very pleased with Chancer who is living out full time without a rug. This is the best he has ever looked during the winter. With Mussels for company and the Nissen hut to shelter in and lots and lots of hay to eat, he seems to be absolutely fine.

Many many thanks to Lorraine who gave me a big bale of hay yesterday for the New Forest ponies and also to Jan who sent me a book memories, my favourite photos, for my birthday.