Sunday, October 7, 2012

7th October, 2012 Saddle Saga


The saddler very kindly came back at the very first sign of sunshine today and spent a good couple of hours analysing what was going on. Wouldn't you know it, Theoden showed no signs of discomfort with the new saddle and pad arrangement but it was impossible to replicate the circumstances of the ride where he was clearly uncomfortable. It was a bit like taking the car to the garage only to find that the squeak had disappeared or going to the dentist as a certain cure for toothache. Nevertheless, I have learned to trust my instincts over the years and don't want to be lumbered with another saddle that doesn't fit quite right. I've learned (the hard way) to question even the best professionals and to stick to my guns. Charly was also witness to Theoden's behaviour when we rode out and I know that he would back me up if he needed to. The net result is that the saddle has gone back BUT we are hoping that Equiflex can make another one that fits just as perfectly but with the rigging in a different (and comfortable) position. It will take months for the saddle to be made and to turn up but at least this saddler is honest and realistic with me about that. In the meantime I am going to take it easy with Theoden's old saddle and old pad.