Thursday, May 16, 2013

16th May, 2013 On Location with the Famous Five


Off to Brockenhurst this morning to check on my New Forest mares who are eating their heads off with three other young horses. It's great to not have to worry about grass intake since my mares will be going back out on the Forest and the others are all young and growing, or at least feeding a foal at foot. The grass is long and therefore not so full of harmful fructose.



Nelly and Blue looking pretty fantastic.


 
And all in a heap...

I was so taken up with taking photographs that I didn't notice my car key fall out of my pocket and I had to spend the next hour undertaking a forensic examination of the field which is pretty big, and all to no avail. Confounded and discombobulated I had to ask Charly to pick me up so that we could go and work with the horses. With no access to my own tack or riding clothes I had to improvise but Petra did very well with a black Dually, a knotted red lead rein and no saddle. Bluebell is a real riding pony now and seemed to enjoy going out with another horse, even if that horse wasn't properly dressed. Back at the field I found my key....