Monday, May 5, 2014

5th May, 2014 Sophie Believes in Santa

A recent post on Hampshire Hooves came from a young woman who was struggling to even rest her legs against the side of her horse when she rode him. Santa, an ex-polo pony, originally came from Argentina where horses aren't always started or ridden with any sympathy and had been a polo pony ever since. Sophie explained later that "I've only had him since September, couldn't even touch him when I first got him so this is a huge improvement, he now follows me round, let's me catch him etc."



Since she was in Flamborough, I could hardly jump in the car to go and see her but I had an idea that short reining might just help with this situation. I chucked my notes at her and she decided to give it a try.


This deliberate attempt to look like two drunks in a nightclub is brilliant for desensitising the horse's sides to the general presence of the leg.


Bit by bit Santa has come to trust Sophie over the last few months and is well on his way to losing a lot of the tension he once had. About the short reining Sophie said: "Just wanted to say a massive thank you for the notes on short lining, I tried it this evening then got on afterwards and the difference was incredible, I managed to do rising trot on him for the first time in months and even managed a canter in a normal riding position! I can't believe how much it helped! Thank you so much! X"


And from Claire Martin: " I just wanted to say I've enjoyed looking at your site and I love your book, No fear, No force.The photo in the journal about two drunks (desensitising the horse's sides) made me smile...I do this with my sensitive Exmoor, Tommy! Nice to know I'm not mad and others do strange things for horse's too! I will keep an eye on your site from now on, many thanks."

Claire and Tommy