Saturday, August 20, 2022

Vaguely Green

Green Grass of Wyoming is the third in the My Friend Flicka Trilogy, by Mary O'Hara, one of the books I have read and reread since my childhood. It talks about the seemingly endless wait for green grass, with neighbours asking each other, "Have you got Green Grass yet?" I am beginning to know how they felt! The measly amount of rain we had this week has only given the grass a vaguely green tinge. 

You can see in the background that I am cutting nettles down every day and leaving them to dry out. They are preferred by Henrietta and the donkeys who tend to eat them while they are still a bit stingy!

Meanwhile the reserve ponies had not been seen for two days until this morning. A relief to see this note from the Assistant Reserve Manager:

"Friday - ponies found marching in the opposite direction to me. I watched them pass and they looked well. Couldn't find any signs of the South herd despite yelling myself hoarse." 

And today - very George Stubbs.