Thursday, September 1, 2022

Hook, Lines, and Sinkers

 


A day late for going up to Hook but fortunately one of the Lookers saw them yesterday. Pie was on his own, slowly munching his way to the bushes where the whole group like to hang out when the flies are at their worst. 

Knowing where to look I found them quite easily and then got 'found' myself by one of the immediate neighbours, M, who has only today confirmed that she would like to be one of the Lookers. What an asset to have practically on site. She also likes to litter-pick so she will be a true ally; I did a colossal amount but not all on site. 


I'm very pleased that Patsy's hooves have improved so much since she moved to the reserve. Here is one of Jack's and one of Nelly's showing the growth/incident lines which indicate changes of diet and nutrition. You'll see that the latest growth is really smooth.




Saying goodbye to lovely Blue, I then bumped into another neighbour, G, who had been concerned about the ponies' access to water. I had been able to reassure her and tell her that I would much rather people were concerned than disinterested. Apparently the ponies were enjoying the spray over the garden fence when G watered her flower-beds. 

M told me that when she moved into her house over twenty years ago, the common had been a bit of a wreck and when HIWWT took it over they removed endless piles of debris, including burnt out cars, before fencing it all and putting in narrow gates. I litter-picked this little lot from inside and outside the reserve, most of which was ancient. 

All of the bottles and cans will now be recycled.

On the way home I popped in to another reserve to see how the two Exmoors were getting on.