Friday, November 2, 2012

2nd November, 2012 Ballet Moves

Hilary and I went off to see Puck and company this morning with instructions to practice their ballet moves for the farrier. It's very easy for owners to only practise lifting feet to hoof picking height and not think about all the wonderful angles that a farrier or trimmer needs to work at. To make Matt's life easier we practised with the foot stand and placing a leg between our legs. I say 'our' but in fact Hilary needs lots of hoof handling practice to work with Benji, so she did most of the hard work while I issued advice and tips! Still, she got to wear the farrier's old apron which looked quite fetching.




Then, for want of anything better to do, we decided to back Puck for the first time. He's six now and it was great to see someone on his back.



After that it was back to the yard where Hilary keeps her pony to work with Benji again and to back him for a second time. He was pretty relaxed about it and she did a little work off the lead rein.


And finally I worked with a gorgeous four year old Percheron and his owner, going through some basic groundwork which should make this huge horse feel a little less daunting and daunted.



"Thanks too for letting me join you this morning. It's great to have  to opportunity to practice and develop what I've learned with Benji in other contexts and under your expert guidance- if I was at school I'd say I was generalising my learning!! And... what a privilege to sit on Puck, between him and Benji I am a very lucky girl this week." HP


"I woke up this morning to find your email and attached photos. It would not be an exaggeration to say that the photos made me cry, really cry (happy tears)!! I honestly feel very emotional about not being with you, but I can't thank you enough for taking this amazing step with your colleague/associate.  Puck looks remarkably calm about the whole event, and I think that is because of all the hard work that you have progressively put into him over the years. He trusts you, and he has learnt to know that he is not going to die! I thought Molly looked gorgeous, she is such a pretty girl. It looks as though you guys worked extremely hard and I really do appreciate your support. Thank you. Once again, my sincere thanks, and please thank your friend for her vital contribution. I just can't tell you how delighted I am!" AR

"The session has certainly given me a little more confidence around my new horse. I'm looking forward to  working with him and reinforcing my newly learned groundwork skills and remembering to breath and smile:)!! MH