Friday, November 1, 2013

1st November, 2013 Hooves under the Table

Interesting the turns of phrase that we use around horses. Today I went to see a Highland Pony that was described as taking advantage now that 'the honeymoon period' was over and he 'had his feet under the table'. From being a very polite pony he has started to pull and push his owner around a bit but I wondered just how much of this is actually about him simply checking to see whether anyone was in charge and then, rather obligingly filling the vacancy. Two sides of the same coin and the owner certainly wasn't cross with him. Some straightforward clear and consistent groundwork should resolve the problem fairly easily and just reset the balance of their relationship.


"Thanks for the notes. And many thanks very much for coming out to help Angus and I. I have been doing the groundwork exercises each day, and over the three days there is already a very positive difference in both my attitude and in Angus's response. I shall persevere! On Saturday, when I was working up and down the track with Angus, a horse broke free from his person at the yard end and came galloping straight towards us at full speed. I kept Angus's attention and pretended I was not scared, and he stood next to me very alert and neck tense, but did not move one hoof as the horse galloped straight past us. I was so proud of Angus, but think that would have been a very different outcome had the incident happened before my lesson with you." SH

Hilary and I did have a little excursion on the way home  you could say that we did some ferreting about....

One tail and one nose!

Two very important lessons today. I am not responsible for the weather nor am I responsible for the fact that all the nocturnal creatures were tucked up in bed in the daytime. Luckily the Asian Short Clawed Otters had not reset their clocks from the weekend and were noisily awaiting their food an hour early!