Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Anticipation

 In the words of Kate Bush: 

"Every time it rains, You're here in my head, Like the sun coming out, Ooh I just know that something good is gonna happen, I don't know when, But just saying it could even make it happen." Cloudbusting.

Yesterday in heavy rain the ponies were all in a very silly mood or perhaps practicing their survival skills.




 They are all bursting with health and I can't wait to see what they make of their new environment when we move them in July.






I have a couple of problems which I need to iron out before they go or hope that the rougher terrain will resolve. Blue had a runny eye which I recognised as a reaction to the dirty water that gets into her eye after the rain has rinsed her forelock. I treat eye conditions as very serious and usually get the vet out unless it is clearly a reaction to the rainwater. Happily it cleared up overnight. Flushing her eye with salty water and putting a band on to keep her forelock away from her eyes really helped. 


For nineteen years whilst grazing on the Forest, Patsy has been able to maintain her own hooves and they have always looked great. Since she has been brought in, they have grown too long and now they are breaking off rather raggedly. She is completely sound which amazes me. I hope that her hooves will improve significantly once she is out on more rugged ground although I am considering whether I might be able to tame her in the weeks before she leaves - I have never tried up until now, preferring her to remain entirely wild.