Saturday, June 17, 2023

Fete accomplis

Since arriving at the fields, one or other of Nathalie's ponies has been in season, and there has been a lot of shennanigins at the fence line, despite the fact that Theoden and Dave are geldings. Early yesterday morning, Henrietta, I suspect, managed to get the gate open between the two sets of horses and ponies. By the time I arrived, Theoden and Dave were taking advantage of the barn and Tuscany and Fleur were taking advantage of the grass. After a slight feeling of a heart attack, I was able to check that none of them were injured, and then keep an eye on things while I cleaned the field. By the time I came to leave, they were all seven in or partially in the barn with a blurred pecking order already established. Theoden had the bext position, Fleur and Tuscany were favoured guests, Patsy was skirting the edges, and Dave had his head in the doorway. Pie was minding his own business in the yard, and of course, Henrietta was going where she sodding well liked.


I left them together with only the slightest misgiving, happy that the two ponies who had done nothing but munch like mad when they were turned out, were now fitting into a herd routine. This may mean that Fleur and Tuscany can stay for the summer and that we might mix and match ponies on the basis of their weight for a while.


This barn, which I had never know I needed, was a gift from God - or at least my landlord. 


David seems to want to make the most of my hurting yet working shoulder and we have been trying to get some fencing up at Brune's Purlieu before it is too late for me to help. We finished at eight o'clock this evening and have another busy day ahead. 


My minor role is as go-fer, fetching, carrying and holding this or that.



My major role is in directing David back to each post - this one is a straining post - without annoying him by whirling an arm around. We have a well-practised routine where I count him back in feet and then inches, secure the post, and then move the post-hole banger-in-er-er up and down using the hydraulic switch. It take well over thirty beats to get one of the big poles in and a mere dozen for the smaller ones.


David sets them all up in a straight line with a small socket to stand up in, and then we thump them all on the head. Just forty-four to go tomorrow. I hope we can get them all in tomorrow and then I only have the horses to do on Sunday before we go up to the hotel in Warwickshire to be within easy reach of the hospital. Fortunately my neighbour, and another friend, will be staying with Nala the cat while we are gone. 

Once the worst of the pain is gone, post-op, I am looking forward to sunny days of Kiswahili and painting with water-colours. I shall have clean nails for once.

p.s. Finished! Just needs four strands of wire now.