Friday, April 18, 2014

18th April, 2014 Surprise! Surprise!

An interesting session this afternoon with an eight year old New Forest gelding called Bart. Bart was sold via Beaulieu Road Sales yard at one stage. He's a good riding pony and seems to love his jumping and does well at dressage too. However he is still difficult to catch and over the least eight weeks his owner has tried everything she can think of and seen other people do in order to get him over the problem. Her latest ruse of gently putting the lead rein over his neck while she gives him food has stopped working as he pulls away the moment he feels the rope go over. I wasn't too sure that I would be able to do any good myself.

I started work just setting up an association between a click and a treat and this was going well with him touching the rolled up scarf as a target. However, the instant I asked him whether I could touch him with the rolled up scarf, he said absolutely not and went away. Something about me being at his side with something ready to 'spring' on him reminded him too much of the hidden things which had grabbed him before.



I decided to be literally 'up front' with him and to offer him the head collar instead. By being at the front I presented a different picture from someone standing at his side and he seemed much more willing to entertain this idea. By the end of the session I had calmly and quietly put his head collar on and taken it off numerous times, moving around the small paddock so that he could come and find me and ask me to put it on again. His owner then repeated the same work with equal success. With food as wages rather than as a bribe we seem to have found a happy compromise.


Let's hope this work sticks as I have no other ideas at the moment!

Email received 21.4.14: "Just thought I'd give you a Bart update. He's caught me using the strategies you showed me everyday so far. He got cross this morning as I wasn't putting the head collar on quick enough :-). Thanks so much." PG

Piglet continues to do well at home:

"Every day he's had 10-15 mins and longer sessions when we can. B (husband) took to clicking really easily and Piglet is very comfortable with us both. He's actually quite fascinated by C (very young son) and will stand as long as he can make himself investigating him while Chip is mucking out or pushing his cars past. I can see Piglet would love to make friends but at the last minute he can't bring himself to and he gets himself away. Still, he is tolerating all the hustle and bustle well and is constantly approaching us for clicks and treats to the point where it's actually like having a shadow while doing all the chores.

I've done some headcollar on and off work mostly in the stable and some out if it today. We're a little out of practice but after a few rewards just for putting his nose in he gets the gist and stands still. Today B, C and I were standing in the field watching him and Arthur (horse!) play and Piglet positively galloped up to us, stood for his 3 clicks and treats and then turned and galloped off. We were gobsmacked. He's a different pony, and while we are under no illusions that he will always be wild at heart, slowly but surely he is enjoying his time with humans so we have some hope that this will grow slowly and steadily." DB