Tuesday, April 1, 2014

1st April, 2014 Imagining Things


Following my recommendation, Nikki asked fellow IHRA Tim Piper to start her horse Maverick. I have been involved in his training for some time and it was nice to be asked back now that he is a fully fledged riding horse. She wanted to work on techniques to bring down his adrenalin levels as well as her own.


Breathing seemed like a very good idea along with exercises in counting footfall and a tension audit. All techniques I have learned myself from Amanda Barton. We also worked on giving him a holiday from one task by going and doing another and in this way we could have an extended session without him minding or getting bored.


I could hardly turn down an invitation to get on himself. Here I am breathing him in to halt. The really nice thing about this horse is that he is so aware of his rider that you can imagine what you would like him to do and he will do it. Hopefully Nikki will take these lessons further by going to the horse's mouth, Amanda herself.


"Thank you. I really enjoyed this morning. I felt very much in control and that Maverick was listening to me which was what I was after. I learn't a lot & it all made sense to me. I know I shall really enjoy practising it all & can take a break from hacking out a couple of times a week but still move on with his education. I think it will really help him as well, to have some variety... now I feel on top of the world :-))" N.O'M

Nikki also owns Nelly's son Peechay, now three years old and full of the same charm and character as his mother.


He's got some more growing to do yet and will probably be started late this year or next when he will turn four.


Another visit from Piglet's owner ahead of him going home at the weekend,  and I am sure that she would like me to say that any roundness at the front of her tummy is a baby bump and not an excess or treats for Piglet.


It was lovely to see him transfer his allegiance to her from us and she was delighted to work with him.




Until recently he wouldn't let anyone get this close to him when he was loose. This was an emotional moment for all of us.


"Thoroughly enjoyed today thank you, it was so amazing to actually have him want to have a cuddle. Slowly slowly but I've noticed a big change so there's hope he will improve on the lead rein one day." DB