Saturday, September 17, 2011

17th September, 2011, The Man with the Golden Helmet

Early canter transition

Out and about in Ashford Forest

Returning to the trailer

Would you like a leg up Jim?

Happily on board














Things are going slowly but surely with Theoden. Jim is encountering his 'no' much less often and he is starting to offer his transitions much more readily. People keep asking me why I am not working with him myself - the answer is simple, when he bucks I come off and I really don't want him to learn that it works. Jim can get on and stay on and yet rides with tact and diplomacy. Finding someone who works with the same values as me and isn't going to hit Theoden is really important to me. It's all too easy to turn your back on a horse that has gone to school and to pretend that horrible things don't happen to them. I have had the opportunity to watch Jim working with a variety of horses during the week and it has been great to be around someone who speaks the same language that I do even though he is working with bigger and trickier starting horses than I would ever attempt. Aswell as running courses and training horses in East Sussex, Jim is tour manager for Monty Roberts and Kelly Marks.