Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Still got it?

Gypsy wonders too

It's easy to wonder after you have stopped working with horses, whether you have still got it in times of need. It's certainly rewarding to see so many youngsters going through the Beaulieu Road On-line sales that have been halter trained using the methods that I have developed. But could I do it again myself?

Unpicking poor halter-training or, let's face it, forceable restraint and jamming a headcollar on, can be far more difficult than putting a halter on a naive pony, and it is even more important in these circumstances not to resort to squashing them up a wall to take it off again. In this foal's case, the aftermath of the headcollar being forced on was made even worse by how tightly it had been fitted and how much his head had grown. He couldn't even yawn comfortably. Add on top of that the effect of a left-handed headcollar (most of them are) and a right-sided pony (many of them are) and it was easy to see why he had earned the nickname 'Feisty'.

With so little time before going away, and a little pressure from the owner, I was not sure if my own 'intent' would be transferred to the pony and therefore undermine what I was trying to do. Yesterday's session had certainly helped us along, and it was easier to separate the mare from the foal once the mare realised that I could be trusted with her beloved son. With the pair side by side, I could work on him alone and soon moved from touching him with the feather duster to touching him with one hand - albeit only on his righthand side. Further in-roads were made once he began to take coarse mix and chaff out of my hand, still refusing the carrots he had also rejected yesterday. 

Once I'd began to rub his neck and to touch around his face and even to manoeuvre his headcollar as much as I dared. it was simply a matter of going over his poll and pulling gently on the strap. As I said "I've undone it" to his owner, the headcollar started to drop very slowly but definitely down his face and onto the floor leaving me, her, and him with slight looks of astonishment.

For him it meant that he could have his freedom out on the Forest with his Mum after six weeks during which she had picked up condition. I hope that next time he comes in, his owner will be able to intervene and ask the transporter not to force a headcollar on him. 

The plan for turning them out didn't go to plan at all. "I'll get them to follow a bucket," said their owner but the ponies had clearly told each other, "I'll get her to follow us with a bucket." 

Off down the cul-de-sac which has direct forest access

A friendly figure shows them across the road and then they were off!