Wednesday, August 30, 2023

The Graduate

A few days ago I went to visit Prince with Ruth, and we were joined by Hilary, Benji's owner. Prince instantly recognised an aligned soul and allowed Hilary to do activities with him. His social circle of trusted people is slowly expanding.  

In the year that Ruth and I have been working with Prince, he has learned to be caught, to lead, and to follow at liberty. He can be groomed all over and have a little spray put on him. He picks his hooves up and has them picked out. He will wear a numnah. Slowly but surely he has begun to trust his environment, hanging around in the yard and also going into the school to go around the obstacles and look at himself in the mirror. 





I felt as if I were watching him graduate, especially when he took to going into a narrow stable so easily - such good practise for loading and winter nights when he might have to spend the night in. 







Save for leading him at liberty, I had to remain hands off. At any rate, I don't think I am needed anymore.