Friday, August 18, 2023

Who Do You Think You Are (Series 2)


Feeling inspired by my ponies' family tree, I pulled a copy of 'New Forest Ponies' by Dionis Macnair off my bookshelf. I remember standing up to give my 'A,B,C,D horses' talk at the Burley Womens' W.I. meeting and realising that Ms. Macnair was in the audience. Fortunately my talk was not about the history of New Forest ponies but the different aspects of my work as a horse trainer. I knew that what Ms. Macnair didn't know about New Forest ponies would fit on a very small, traditional postage stamp. Although she had a very friendly face, she could be very straight about what she thought and I remember saying how lovely a particular grey pony was at the New Forest Show for her to explain just how restrictive it's jaw was. Oh well.

I found a good account of the post-World War II stallion Goodenough who was foaled in 1946. He was bred by Mr H.F. Sparks and then owner by Mr F.C. Bennett both from the Sway area of the Forest. Appaently he won the five year old cup at the stallion show and reserve champion. He went on to be champion in 1953, 1954 and 1955. He won the Forest class at the Britain stallion show and one one of the three special premiums and in 1957 he won the Ponies of Britain special award for the Mountain and Moorland ponies whose progeny had won the most points at the spring and summer shows. Not just a prlific forest-run stallion then. 

For anyone with the slightest bit of interest in the New Forest Pony or the breeding of their own Forester, they are bound to find a reference to a pony they know or one of its relatives.

The best, cheapest - and most supportive - place to buy a copy is on the New Forest Pony and Cattle Breeding Society's page New Forest Ponies book       (Hilary and Ruth - don't buy one, I've bought you one each).