Thursday, May 3, 2007

3rd May, 2007 All Quiet on the Weston Front

Oh dear, I do seem to have a lot to say this week.
Here's my message of the year - when you approach your horse approach him like a love affair rather than a war zone. Seduce him with your touch (none of that slappy-patting - why do people do that?) and talk to him in soothing tones. Explore his muscles and stroke his hair. Tell him you love him. Yes, don't let him walk all over you but when he gets it right, tell him.
Professionals - if you don't like what they're doing with your horse ask them to stop. It might be a Britishness thing but it seems to be so hard to do this even though you're paying them. It took me yonks to get rid of my old farrier. Trust your instincts, if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't. There's a so-called horse whisperer close to where I live who ties horses to a "naughty tree" and sends the horses home underweight with sores on their noses and hind fetlocks. So far I have picked up three of the horses they have wrecked and one of them was beyond help. "Ah yes" I was told "but they have been breaking in horses for 28 years" - well they bloomin' well ought to stop.
And finally....a big thank you to my Doctor. He has persevered with getting me to take anti-depressants (yes I have tried all the alternatives) and in finding the right ones. I am now on a very low dose of Efexor and wake up pleasantly happy every day. I have a lovely life and a lovely husband and it is so nice to see all of this without some sort of filter blurring it.
There, got that lot off my chest. Guess that makes it All Quiet on the Weston Front.