Monday, December 3, 2007

3rd December, 2007 Why choose an RA?


As a Recommended Associate my work is constantly reviewed by Intelligent Horsemanship Limited. I am expected to submit regular evaluation forms and to attend courses throughout the year. I am also obliged to be fully insured for every move that I make. It's only when a student attends Stage II of the Monty Robert's Preliminary Certificate in Horsemanship that their performance is objectively examined and marked. In my case I got a distinction for my work. After that I had to complete and submit case studies to prove that I could not only talk the talk but walk the walk. Since then, I have worked with over 500 horses. It worries me that there are a lot of people that have simply attended the courses and their true understanding hasn't been tested. To me it is critical that they have picked up the fiddle and put down the gun and that they see everything from the horse's point of view. Most of my work with horses is done instinctively; I seem to think like a horse. I'm not bound by any particular system and I have a innate ability to choose what works for a particular horse. Nevertheless, I am also determined to find a way to make this accessible to the owner and to give them the confidence to continue and to trust their own ability. I am utterly committed to helping both the horse and it's owner. Accordingly I am always generous with my time, often tweak my charges and then give the owner a full report not only of what we have done, but how they might take it forward. I may be £5 an hour more than an unqualified person but I give far greater value for money.