Wednesday, March 10, 2010

10th March, 2010 I'll be back....






This morning I long reined Theoden for the first time since I got him. He is so immune to body language that I had to use my rattle bottle to ask him to go forwards, after which I was able to put it in my pocket and use the more muted version. This afternoon it was Arnie's turn and same thing, he was more interested in eating the one blade of grass in the school than noting my antics at all. Once again, the rattle bottle got him going forward and after that he took notice of the cue from the long rein. I would very much hope that three times with a rattle bottle would set up the cue in this way so that it can be put away and not used again. I am wary of using it for horses that may eventually be driven but much prefer to have that as my final sanction than a smack from a whip. A horse's disadvantages are also his advantages, so the fact that these two are so unmoved by big body language should mean that they are pretty bomproof when they are out.