Sunday, March 21, 2010

21st March, 2010 Essex Girls












Davy did get long reined in the inclosure on Friday with some success - he is so strong and he did manage to go to the gate on his own on one occasion but was calm and fine the rest of the time. Davy has learned that when his confidence runs out his strength can be very useful. I didn't feel that he was frightened of being out on his own - his respiration rate was low and he was happily ambling along, just that this pattern on behaviour has really worked for him and been reinforced whenever he goes home. I simply picked up the reins and off we went again for another wander around the woods and hopefully he will have enjoyed himself to some extent. When he's good, he's very very good and it was nice to be able to tell him so.

I have spent the weekend in Essex running a course on problem solving with RA Liz Pitman. I was able to stay at the lovely yard belonging to Jenny and Kate and to stay in the flat in the corner. It felt like being in a Dick Francis novel - fortunately there were no deadly deeds in the middle of the night. The first day was mostly theoretical and then today we did lots of practical work with the coloured cobs, Bubbles, Spider, Digs, Seamus and Harriet and thoroughbred Daizey, not forgetting the lovely black cob, Gloria (top) who has the squarest star I have ever seen. Mabel, the puppy, found it all a little tedious!
"Thank you all for such a lovely weekend!! I learnt lots and loved spending time with like minded people. I'm very proud of the horses and I'm glad the sun shone on Sunday. Think we also might have opened some eyes as to that things don't have to be done as they have always been done!! SO THANK YOU ALL!! "K8
"Wanted to say a big thank you to Liz Pitman , Sarah Weston and Bridget for holding the Equine Problem solving workshop this weekend at W Farm It was very informative and gave me loads to think about as well as improving my confidence . You know I really think I can do this ...... Thanks to everyone on the course for being such fun and encouraging - wish you all well with your horsey hiccups" Arizona
"I have come back uplifted and feeling much more positive about things Sarah's first demo on leading was a light bulb moment. W's leading had progressively got worse and Sarah's work on making sure the horse's attention was always on her even at a stand was that light bulb." Cookie