Sunday, April 13, 2014

13th April, 2014 Can You Guess What It Is Yet?

One of the glorious things about Mallorca is the number of really decent donkeys that are around often used to cover quality mares to produce excellent mules. We met one or two while we were away and I never fail to fall in love with them.


Veronica, an English woman who escaped to the Island some years ago has quite a collection of donkeys including spotty ones. She claims they make excellent guard 'dogs' because they roar if they spot anyone around who shouldn't be. Fortunately they thought I was friend not foe and I didn't get roared at.


Jordi Senior, Jordi's Dad, has a wonderful jack donkey with a speciality in gurning over the railings while you are working.  His Llama impression is particularly good. He lives out and in, rotating with other equines during the day and night.



At the RDA at Biniali they had this wonderful guy. I was told that he wasn't so keen on being touched or brushed but I didn't seem to be able to get rid of him - not that anyone would want to. It amazes me that anyone could ever be mean to a donkey. Fortunately this one is in one of the most equine friendly places I have seen in Mallorca, living out in a herd with horses.


I met this one last time and he hasn't moved an inch since.