Saturday, July 29, 2017

29th July, 2017 Really Saying Something


Soul not skin
This refers to the depth of touch preferred by most horses. Deep, flat, slow touch not tickly touch. Mules, or rather Henrietta, seem to be an exception.

Touch is for the benefit of the recipient
I've saved a few marriages with this comment but it means making sure that the horse does actually like the touch that you use, with your hands and with a brush. We need to observe the horse's reactions to what we do rather than mindlessly touching him. A reward should be a reward and brushing shouldn't be a pain.

Which brings me on to neatly:

A horse is not a carpet
Don't brush him as if he is one....even if he is filthy, you are in a hurry, or going to a show.

It's okay, you're okay
The quiet lullaby I say to the horses I meet, as well as I'm here for you and especially, I know.

Nothing's changed
The reassurance I give horses when I actually one thing has changed. No matter what, my attitude hasn't.