Thursday, June 21, 2007

21st June, 2007 RA Days

This year I have had the pleasurable company of several IH students and followers (no, it isn't a cult) who have come down to spend the day shadowing my work. Some of them have come back the following day. Special mention should be given to Fiona Gummerson who brought M and S food with her, Suz Collett who really should have been concentrating on her wedding plans and Lisa Tucker who I felt like I'd known for ever. It's great working alongside like minded people who then keep in touch to find out the outcome for the owners and horses. I shall certainly offer this invitation again because I've got as much out of it as the people who came down. Anyway, this is what Lisa had to say:
I wanted to drop you a quick note to say thank you very much for the weekend. I had a brilliant time and really enjoyed myself, you were fantastic company and I learned loads (even if I couldn't remember it all when you asked me)!!!

I was really struck by just how beautiful the area is, I can't believe you walk out of your front door and have such amazing wildlife combined with those gorgeous ponies and their babies on your doorstep. It really was a very inspirational weekend, helps one get things into perspective and appreciate what is really important in life (having got back to the mad house of the office on Monday I appreciate this even more now).

All of the clients and their ponies/horses were lovely, it was a pleasure to meet them and I hope that everything works out - I am sure it will. I would be really interested to here how Arnie and Joanne do and also the lovely Puck!

Working with Piper and Puck was great, I really appreciate you letting me have a play with them it was great experience and I loved every second of it.

My mind went completely blank when you asked me what I had learnt during the weekend, I was tired and slightly overwhelmed by everything to be honest. But I wanted to let you know what the key things were that I took away with me:-

Bits - hearing you explain about the bits really opened my eyes (swallowing/pinching/nutcracker action), I had no idea how the gag bit worked previously or that is gave confusing messages in terms of poll pressure down 'v' palette pressure up. I am really looking forward to the biting clinic at the Margaret Green Foundation Day and hope to learn more - I'm seriously looking at Mylers for my lot, just need to look into best type of myler for them.

Clicker Training - didn't know anything about it before hand and was always worried that it might promote biting but can see that in certain cases its a good tool to use and definitely works for Piper who is fab. Also now understand the process better in terms of timing of click/treat and that treats should only be offered after the click.

Life on the Forest - I always assumed that New Forest ponies were wild and not handled in anyway until rounding up for sales etc. Hearing about the experiences they have in relation to learning to tie up, branding, weaning, sales ring etc. helped me understand more clearly the background of my two and how their experiences might effect them in future training/physical issues which may arise (in particular Victors sensitivity around his head which I'm going to look into). The information on the way of life on the Forest and the Commoners/Verderers/Agisters etc. was fascinating and something I plan to learn more about.

Seducing the Horse - I loved this expression, made me think differently about how I stroke/rub and touch the horse. Put some meaning into it and saying good boy/clever boy and making sure don't do this to effusively or they will back away from this.

Teaching to Lead - The supporting from behind technique to get the forward motion without constanding pulling the head, going in a straight line to teach leading rather then the side to side motion all the time as this is confusing - pony needs to feel like we are going somewhere.

Trailer Loading - Liked the way owner did it themselves multiple times with Mum getting involved as well so they both had certain roles and were clear of what they needed to do. Buliding up to full partitions/ramps up/fake journey and also giving thoughts on best way to proceed with follow up journeys, coming off the trailer as a practice and doing this somewhere you can help out if there are any problems. Also thought way you broached the subject of safe/smooth driving was great. The fake journey and stopping when horse showed relaxation made perfect sense in terms of desensitisation but not something that had ever occured to me before, also the 20 min adrenalin period when body can't continue to pump adrenalin after this 20 mins and how important this is to sensitisation/de-sensitisation.

Subtlety and Gentleness - Thoughout the weekend your empathy and just how gentle and subtle you were with each horse was something I plan to strive towards.

Foal Interaction - The slight touch/sniff (letting them touch your hand) and move away you were doing with the foals to get that first touch in using pressure and release. Also, way you used this with Arnie/Charlie in the field

Once again, thank you so much I would love to come back again if you will let me!

Hope the meal went well on Sunday night,

Best Wishes

Lisa