Monday, January 9, 2012

9th January, 2012 Great Expectations and Value for Money





What can you expect from a visit?

Depending on the reason for my visit, we would normally start off by discussing your horse’s history and the nature of any problems that you have been having or the work that you would like done with him/her.

Some of this can be done by e-mail or by telephone so that I have a good idea of the background before I start. We would go over any significant points before we start working and I may need further details. It helps to know exactly what your horse is doing in any given situation.

The first part of the work would be to assess your current position, perhaps to see you and your horse in action on the ground or ridden, so that I can see what has been happening. Where it is relevant, we might also discuss any physical checks your horse has had, the fit of any equipment you are using, the environment in which he is kept and the way in which he is fed and managed.

Where there has been a problem the next step would be to analyse what is happening and how it might be resolved. In many cases it is appropriate to start with groundwork so that we can start to rebuild any gaps in your relationship. If your horse is frightened of a particular thing or things in general, it may be appropriate to look at some desensitisation work. Similarly if you are looking to start your horse’s education in preparation for riding or fill in any gaps in his education, we might well start with basic groundwork before moving on. These foundations are very important and can make a real difference to the confidence you feel in each other and can have an enormous impact on ridden work too. If you are already familiar with IH type training, then we may just need to hone your skills to make sure that they are working in the best way possible for you and your horse. In some cases long reining is appropriate too.

For very specific problems we may be able to go straight to the heart of it and work on that. This is particularly relevant to horses that are phobic about one thing or untouched horses for example.

In any event, I will always start to work on a problem at the very first appointment and to include you in that work too. The idea is to leave you with ‘homework’ that you can get on with so that you can make good progress yourself and only need to call me out again if you need help to move forwards or if you get stuck.

An initial session is generally one and a half to two hours although it can be shorter or longer depending on what you want to cover and whether that is appropriate. Whilst repeat appointments are not always necessary, they tend to be shorter and can be anything from one hour to two. Longer sessions can be arranged providing the horse is given time to rest or if you have more than one horse for me to look at. Obviously the more complex the problem, the more appointments may be needed but sometimes there is just one key to the whole lot and everything rapidly improves at the same time.

You will be aware that I am committed to working with your horse without resorting to violence. The techniques I use are based on key concepts of the prey/predator relationship; pressure and release; positive reinforcement; the into-pressure response and memories as pictures. My aim is to work with your horse in a non-dramatic way to achieve dramatic results.

Photography

It is so useful to be able to take photographs on a visit and you will always be given copies of those pictures. It is helpful to me and to other horse owners if I am able to use the photographs on my blog. However, please say if you would prefer no photographs were taken of the work that we do or if you would rather your horse’s identity were not disclosed.

After the appointment

Unless he is an untouched horse (in which I case I would urge you to buy a copy of my book No Fear, No Force) I will send you notes after the appointment. These comprise anything which is specific to your horse and more general notes about the type of work we have covered. There is no additional charge for this report which normally takes me twenty to thirty minutes to write.

‘Service Level Agreement’

After an appointment I am happy to give further advice by email where I can. Sometimes it is critical to see the horse again so that I can advise on how best to proceed now that things have altered. In any event, I always like to be kept in touch with what is happening!

Referrals

Where I think your horse would benefit from the intervention of another type of practitioner I will say so. In particular horses should have their backs, saddles and teeth checked AT LEAST once a year. I have good contacts in many of these fields but ultimately the choice is yours.




To see more about the way I work please go to www.sarahweston.co.uk