Wednesday, May 7, 2014

7th May,2014 Room Without a Roof


A superb morning this morning. First of all my New Forest mares were lined up like playing cards when I got there. Then, another lovely foal. This one is definitely a Lovelyhill Hijack baby.


Charly has started to ride Theoden so that he can take him out while I am on holiday. I think this grin is slightly exaggerated but they seemed to get on with each other very well. It made a nice change for me to ride Petra too.


The very best bit came later. Tracey has two best friends and her most long standing one is Barbara who lives with her and her family. These days Barbara gets around by wheelchair best and has a scooter for the town. We felt that she needed a country version too and so got hold of a Tramper which is a really solid piece of kit. Now Barbara can come with us when we work the young horses, hang about at the barn when we're doing chores there and generally be involved.



We took our first trip out with Barbara with Kitty May this morning. Far from being an 'extra', Barbara played an intrinsic role in the training. Not only did Kitty May get some traffic training but she accepted Barbara and the Tramper as the leader and followed them independently all around the inclosure. We were able to turn away from home on two occasions without a hint of a nap - something that young horses often do. All four of us were so happy.

Unfortunately there was one mishap when we got back. Kitty May seemed to be taken by surprise when I was about to get off - I don't know whether she was attacked by a crab fly or whether it was just genuine surprise - she proceeded to help me to get off. I was knocked unconscious momentarily but seem to have got away with no broken bones. Oh, my back is sore though - ice, ice, ice.

We've not had a hint of unwanted behaviour from this pony before and I am hoping that it is just a blip. This is just young horses for you - they have a thin line of tolerance for things going wrong. Disappointing though for me and for her owner.