Saturday, February 7, 2015

7th February, 2015 The Kestrel is Cast

This morning Kestrel was officially launched from the glove (cast in falconry terms) and ridden by his owner, Yvonne, after we had long reined him first. Kestrel was started by renowned show producer Sam Roberts last year. However when he came home he was ill for a little while and was turned away for the rest of the year. I have been working with him once a week for some weeks now to get him used to being out and about on the Forest in anticipation of today. We'll be venturing out further afield very soon and until I am no longer needed.


I offer owners undivided attention and support for these early rides, helping to spot sticky moment or potential problems so that they can interrupt the horse's thought and keep their attention. I always take a lead rein with me.


Today (8th February) Yvonne asked me to add this to this blog:

"I rode my pony today ..... Just like hundreds of others in the Country but those close to me will know what that statement actually means.  Nine months ago when I sat on him for the first time he walked two strides bucked and then reared over backwards.  Over the following weeks he became upset with whatever I tried to do with him, be it walks out on the forest or a lunge in the paddock.  We had zero confidence in each other and the thought of ever riding him didn't exist.  To cut a very long story short he had grade 4 ulcers (I believe from his injections but yet again that's another story too long to go into here).   Although the ulcers healed quickly - the mental scars for both of us did not.  Enter into the story Sarah Weston.  Sarah has worked with Kestrel over the Winter building his confidence, putting in the boundaries and answering his questions.  When it came to sitting on him again Sarah had put everything in place and to Kestrel it was just another step - no stress and no upset.  On our ride today he coped with a galloping horse in a field right next to the track we were riding on, a couple of pheasants caught in a fence, a large van passing close by, meeting up with another horse and then turning away on his own to come home.  I was able to remain calm knowing these were all situations he had previously faced with Sarah. I rode my pony today - thanks to Sarah Weston !!!!"