Thursday, April 30, 2015

30th April, 2015 REM Sleep


Moses was having a really good sleep when I arrived this morning. Proper deep REM sleep is very important to horses and something that is rarely achieved if they live in individual paddocks without friends to stand guard over them. Good old Jack!



Once he'd got up and after I'd finished my chores it was time to go out short-reining. The good news is that Moses was no more concerned about me being on his right side than his left this time. I made sure that I stroked him on his offside as we went around so that he got used to things happening on both sides of him at once.


Another practice session in the trailer ahead of going home on Sunday. His owner and I had a conflab about him and decided that he would benefit from another six months or so in which to mature physically and mentally before he is ridden. Forest bred ponies often need a bit longer before they are physically ready to be ridden. Hopefully his owner will be able to do some regular groundwork with him consolidating the good work that we have started while he has been with us.