Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Camelth

It is hard to explain the way I feel about camels, particularly mine. It was so great to see them after such a long time and amazingly they seemed to remember me. I don't think it was my imagination - everyone remarked upon it. I was able to tell Shilingi that I was so sorry that she had lost her baby and with that she bowed her head and nuzzled me.

Since my last visit, the thorn walls of the boma - which gets moved every so often - have been replaced with a round-pen type metal structure. It is less attractive but better for the camels as they get less thorn wounds and abscesses. It was marvellous to be able to speak to Kukuman in Swahili. He is a wonderful camel man, passing quietly through the herd like a swimmer through waves. It's a shame there aren't camel-handling courses. He would be considered a camel-whisperer. 

This little orphan, with a slightly runny eye, survives perfectly happily by nursing from any available female in milk. All of them seem to tolerate him. 



Tulip wanted us to see her from every angle and allowed me to put a halter on straight away. The last time she wore one was two years before. 

She probably won't wear another one for years to come but it was just interesting to see. 





The camel team of my friends William, Sharif, Mohamed, Kukuman and Ekomwa. 

As the camels could only be reached along an extremely bumpy track, I reconciled myself to the fact that I would only see them once. I also knew that I was rubbish at goodbyes and I didn't want these men to see me in tears.