Monday, January 9, 2023

Odds and Sods

From our arrival at Meru and the very first long safari, it became clear to me that my neck and shoulder were not up to the bumpy tracks. Even with my arm propped up on Moses' camera bag and a couple of shukas, I still ached so badly that I was close to tears when I got back to camp. It only took a warm flannel and some kind words from the staff for me to actually cry. I was whisked off for a glorious massage with Sandra, lying on a bed which was open to the elements, overlooking the rocks. We kept a close eye on a passing snake which looked like a wiggly piece of hosepipe.


Our room and verandah were also open during daylight hours and I was able to watch the local wildlife go by. There were lizards inside and out and gheckos behind the pictures. They were extremely good at catching flies and other insects.

The little dik-diks which took advantage of the extra protection from predators within the lodge grounds. They 'marry' for life and are fiercely loyal.


The comical rock hyrax are great company, freezing like statues if you look at them. Related to elephants, they are good at clod-hopping across the decking and hiding within the walls. 




Occasionally the monkeys (tumbili in Swahili) would come and case the joint to see if there was anything worth stealing. 


This baby bushbuck liked to trip around the garden behind her mother. 

I began to realise that I didn't need to go on the long safaris - I could delegate that to David and Xanthe. I could enjoy the local animals and just relax. Fortunately two members of staff. Shadrack and Lawrence agreed to teach me some more Swahili and test what I already knew.